Saturday, July 6, 2019

Our Financial Goals




Pictured above is our coin jar. When it is full we will do use the money for something special.
                            
Have you ever wondered where you want to be 10 years from now? Do you want a new job, a different house, or are you looking to simplify and downsize?

When I look at my life 10 years down the road, I see a retired couple with all of their debt all gone. Now, my husband works part time, takes social security, and I work in an office. We have modest incomes but we have learned how to make every dollar count. Some of the things we do (and don't do!) to reach our goal:

We rarely eat out.
We have a small mortgage and a modest home.
We cook from scratch.
We shop the loss leaders and marked-down items at the grocery store.
We mostly cook from scratch.
We frequent thrift stores, yard sales, and the clearance section of the store.
We make our own laundry soap.
We wash out our baggies and reuse them. (Not if they had meat in them!)
We take our lunches to work every day.
We make our coffee at home each morning.
I sew and mend our clothes. I recently bought a large flannel sheet at a yard sale that will make a cozy pair of pajama pants for this winter.
We reuse and repurpose items in our house.
We eat leftovers and try to make something new and interesting from food that is left over. I am very fortunate that my husband loves leftovers.
Besides our coffee, we drink water or tea.
We grow some of our own food. Every year I learn more and more about this amazing skill!
I save glass jars for storage.
We routinely go through our budget to see if we can tweak it a little and save even more money. For example, when our car or home insurance premium is going to come due, we will compare with other companies to see if we can get a better deal.

I am always looking for ways to creatively save money. I don't feel I am deprived or doing without. I am just so thankful for everything we have!

Where do you see yourself in the next few years?


4 comments:

  1. I am not sure where I see myself - all I know is it won't be where I thought I would be. Losing my husband changed everything. So I will have to go forward in a different direction.

    You are surely doing all the right things to be in good shape. About the only one you mentioned that I don't/didn't do was making laundry soap. That is one I have never tried. I am still using my almost free detergent I got on deals ages ago!
    Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops, I accidentally deleted my comment!

      You are in my prayers, Cheryl. We are trying to do all the right things. I just wish we had started sooner.

      Delete
  3. You are on the right track! We set our debt-free age goal and beat it by 7 months! YOU CAN DO IT TOO!

    I don't know if this is value-add for you: back in 2000, we started tracking every penny. We based our financial thoughts and practices on the book "your money or your life". Changed us to the core. All expenditures became mindful. We "need" so much less than we did 35 years ago. And wants? All but nonexistent.

    Best of luck on your journey.

    Gardening: many lessons to be learned from here... https://ourpermaculturelife.com/category/gardening/

    ReplyDelete