Thursday, July 11, 2019

Keeping My Pantry Stocked-Canned Tomatoes



Boy, was it hot today! It was a real blessing to come home after a long day and have a simple meal of ham that I had taken from the freezer leftover from Easter and fry some eggs with some toast for our dinner.

I needed dinner for the next night so after preparing our lunches for the following day, I made spaghetti sauce. This is where the pantry part comes in. I always keep cans of crushed, diced, and whole tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste along with seasonings in my pantry. I sauteed half an onion with a little sausage, although I have made it with just onion powder and no meat or ground beef or turkey. I then added my seasonings: garlic powder, oregano, basil, and a pinch of cayenne. I then put in a large can of crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and just because it was in the refrigerator, a little homemade chicken broth. At some point I taste it and will tweak my flavorings and may even add a little sweetener. I let it simmer for a couple of hours.

This will feed the two of us for a least a couple of meals. We like it over pasta, of course, but I have also had it over spaghetti squash, if I am feeling a little low-carbish. I also use it for pizza sauce. I store any sauce that is left over in the freezer for future meals.

We also use our canned tomatoes for chili, tomato and vegetable soups, and Spanish rice.

I love having ready ingredients in my pantry. It has saved us lots of money over the years.





4 comments:

  1. I think canned tomatoes , whether store bought or home canned, are the one of the most versatile ingredients we can keep on hand. I always have all sorts of them.
    So many uses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Cheryl. I always have them in my pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep stocked up on canned tomatoes too as they are so versatile in the pantry. Your sauce sounds so good and serving iit over the spaghetti squash is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canned tomatoes are so versatile and we do love our spaghetti sauce!

      Delete