Sunday, August 18, 2019

Weekend Cooking







Classic Southern Tomato Pie

I love to spend time in the kitchen. It's relaxing and a creative outlet for me. Since I work during the week, I will do most of my cooking and baking on the weekends.

This is is what I cooked this past weekend:

I made the Tomato Pie I had planned earlier. It was such a bit hit at our house that I will be making another one next weekend. Here's the link to the recipe I used:  Classic Southern Tomato Pie

I made two kinds of bread: white with a little rye flour to up the fiber content and Cinnamon Raisin. I just started making our bread again and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Since there is only the two of us I will be putting about half of each loaf in the freezer.

Roasted cherry tomatoes. I added basil, garlic, salt, and olive oil. I roasted them at 300 degrees for an hour. They are delish! I will add these to soups, sauces, or wherever.

Tuna Salad for our lunches.

Today Papa will be putting 2 whole chickens on the grill. We will have lots of chicken, but we will use it for chicken and noodles, chicken salad, chicken soup, and chicken broth. Whatever is left over will be tucked into the freezer for future easy meals.

Last weekend we had a picnic with the family and we had a lot of leftover hamburger and hot dog buns. We didn't have the room in the freezer for all of them so I toasted some in the oven and made bread crumbs. I keep them in the freezer and pull them out whenever we need them.




What is on your calendar for future meals?

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow, your tomato pie looks delicious!! They charge an arm and a leg for one around here. $30 for one pie! So much cheaper to make it at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, $30? Even if you had to buy the tomatoes, it would be cheaper. Most people up here in the North have never heard of tomato pie and I have already shared the recipe with a co-worker. It is pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of Tomato Pie....it looks delicious.. Im going to add the recipe to my book and I must give it a try..
    Glad to have found your Blog
    Phoebe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pie is really delicious. I've made it twice already. I'm glad you found me, too!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness that tomato pie sounds yummy. I love the combo of tomatoes and cheese. I will have to give that a try.
    I love making toast from leftover buns. You get a nice crunchy entire side!

    Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete